August Empties (Part 2)
This was obviously a good month for clearing out my stash! Here we have:
- Almay eye makeup remover pads: Used up this mini size. I love these things.
- LUSH BB Seaweed fresh face mask: This was not my favorite mask. It was very dense and I only got 2 full uses out of it, I usually get 4-5 out of others.
- Tarte energy cheek stain: This was okay, turned Barbie pink on me. I have started using mineral powder foundation instead of liquid foundation and this was too hard to use with powder.
- Purlisse lotion: Got this from Ipsy, nothing in particular to report, just boring lotion.
- Philosophy pink almond candy lip balm: This smells amazing! I got it for Christmas so I’m not quite done with it, but I don’t know how clean or sanitary it was anymore.
- Murad oil control mattifier primer: This gave me a white cast like sunscreen due to the SPF. Also, I didn’t notice any real mattifying so I wouldn’t buy this in full size.
- Balanced Guru no frizz oil: Unfortunately this is another Ipsy product that I didn’t love. It wasn’t horrible but I like my usual stuff better. Also the glass packaging seems wasteful.
- Julep Kajal glide on eyeliner: NO. NO. This liner smells like a cheap colored pencil and certainly did not glide on in any sense of the word. I’ve never had an eyeliner tug so badly in my life. Trash.
- Starlooks gentle clear away eye makeup remover: Got this in a Starbox. This was true to its name, very gentle!! It worked well on eye makeup too, and never stung or left behind residue. Unfortunately I prefer for my staple items that I go through fast to be something I can easily pick up at Target/Sephora/Ulta.
- Nexxus color assure shampoo: Smelled like candy, did its job at protecting color. Would buy again.
- Johnson & Johnson baby oil with aloe: I use this on my legs after I shave. Love this stuff!
- Beauty Blender blendercleanser: Not worth the price tag (Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo works just as well) and the design of this bottle is terrible! When you press the blender on the pedastal part, dirty excess can get back in the bottle. Yuck.
- Toni & Guy sea salt spray: I prefer the Sexy Hair brand spray. This worked, but made my wavy/curly hair almost too chunky.
- Big Sexy Hair spray and play hairspray: Just a normal hairspray; wouldn’t purchase.
- B&BW True Blue Spa apricot and white tea face scrub: I don’t care if everyone says face scrubs are too harsh. Sometimes I have dry skin on my face and this scrub smells amazing and does the job well. I stocked up on this at the June semiannual sale but it’s been my go-to for years.
- Clinique “for men” face scrub: So this belonged to my BF but I used it when I didn’t have my True Blue Spa apricot scrub. It is the gentlest and finest scrub I’ve found.
- Alberto VO5 Tea Therapy clarifying shampoo: This is hands down the best-smelling shampoo in the world, plus it can be found on sale/BOGO very cheap at drugstores. I’ve been using this for years as my go-to clarifying shampoo.
- LUSH mango bath melt: This bath melt is very moisturizing and has a great fruity smell.
- LUSH Mumkin bubble bar: I bought this for my mom for Mothers Day and she didn’t like the smell so she regifted it back to me! I loved it.
- LUSH Karma bubble bar: My grammy got this for my mom for Christmas…and she didn’t like it and gifted it to me. Are we seeing a pattern here? I liked it a lot! (My mom is the pickiest person on the planet apparently.)
Whew that was a lot this month. I used up a lot of staples and things that I’ve been using all summer so it’s nice to clear out so much before fall.
The Body Shop: Mini-haul!
Recently I decided to take advantage of The Body Shop’s Christmas in July sale, where I got these things on sale with no charge for shipping- yay! I have unruly wavy/curly hair so I’m always on the lookout for anti-frizz products, and my skin has been breaking out so I wanted to try their tea tree line.
- Brazil Nut define & no frizz: This is supposed to smooth and define curls. I’ve been applying this in my hair before I dry it (also before I use gel or anything else.) I haven’t noticed any particular benefit to using this over other, cheaper hair products, but I LOVE how this smells!
- Tea tree oil: No cystic acne since I started using this. I apply a few drops to my t-zone at night and it’s been helping, I think. I don’t go to a dermatologist and as long as I can avoid it by using this stuff, I’ll be happy.
- Tea tree blemish fade night lotion: This, in combination with the oil, has been working wonders. My skin isn’t dried out at all but my acne has been reduced, especially cystic acne. The tea tree line kind of reminds me of potpourri but not in a bad way. I bought this with the blemish fade claim in mind so hopefully it works.
There are definitely other products I want to try from this company, like the Camomile eye makeup remover, Cocoa Butter stick, and anything Honey or Coconut. I’ve definitely put The Body Shop on my list of places for holiday shopping! What are your favorite items?
Current mani/pedi combo: Julep Kayla on my fingers and Pretty & Polished Chicks in the Hen House on my toes. I did put the latter on over Essie Blanc and to be honest I’m hating how it looks on my toes. I’ll be changing this up asap, I think!
Here are my swatches from my recent Colourpop haul!! These eyeshadows are amazing. The texture is very smooth and soft. The photo I included shows two finger swipes on bare skin (no primer) in natural light, no flash. The site’s application tips are as follows: “For maximum coverage: Use fingertip and tap shadow onto eye lid. A flat, fine tip synthetic brush will work fabulously as well and is actually better for a more detailed application close to the lash line. However, your fingertips make for the most intense application.”
The colors I got:
- So Quiche: "A soft olive with a highly reflective gold and pink violet glittery duo chrome metallic finish." This description is perfect, and my camera definitely didn’t capture the intensity of the color or the beautiful sheen of the pink/violet shimmer.
- Hammered: "Smoky olive with tons of gold glitter and a soft sprinkle of multi-colored sparkles in a metallic finish." This is a perfect color for a smoky look, and it blends out beautifully (as do all of these, actually.)
- Meow: “A light gunmetal doused with tons of pink, violet and silver glitter, leaving a super sparkly metallic finish.” Not going to lie, I bought this color solely because the pan before you use it looks like the coloring of a calico cat and I am the proud mama of a calico baby. Fortunately, this shadow is incredible and is way more interesting than the way my camera captured it.
- Game Face: "Intense penny copper with a liquid like ultra-metallic finish.” Again, this description is perfect. Of the six colors I ordered, this was the most intense. It reminds me of my favorite Urban Decay shades, and it was easy to sheer out for a day look.
- Cheeky: “Mid-toned candy coral pink with duo-chrome satin finish.” This color is actually the reason I decided to place an order from Colourpop in the first place. It is a perfect, soft pink for me that I have been trying to find for months. It is exactly what was missing from UD’s Naked 3 palette. I’m in love and will order this color again and again.
- Animal: “Electric bright neon coral with a subtle flash of gold.” My phone camera simply couldn’t accurately capture the pigmentation and brightness of this unique shade. I own nothing else like this and I’m so glad to have it in my arsenal. This *is* listed in their pressed pigments section which (much like the UD Electric palette) is listed as not for use in the immediate eye area.
Can you tell I’m a Sephora junkie making my way down the Indie rabbit hole (as we say on Makeuptalk)? I’ve already switched out my foundation for an indie (Meow Cosmetics, which I’m going to make a new post about) and I can see my eye shadow preferences moving in that direction too. I love the unique colors and formulas I can find as well as the attention to detail that goes into each package. I love Colourpop and I can’t wait to place my next order <3
Colourpop preview!! Coming soon!
Current mani/pedi combo: Rainbow Honey Mint Flavor on my toes and Pretty & Polished Fields of Poppy (sold out) on my fingers.
I’m loving the coral/mint combo this summer and I refuse to accept that summer is nearly over. Keep the pumpkin spice and leaves AWAY and outta my life until like Halloween, okay?
August Empties (Part 1)
Soo this month is not even halfway over yet but I have some empties to share already. :)
- Organix Teatree Conditioner: I love this shampoo but I probably won’t buy this conditioner again. I need something more moisturizing.
- John Frieda Frizz-Ease gel: I like this gel a lot for my wavy/curly hair. My curls are loose and this helps keep them defined but not crunchy. I also love the clear pump because I can see exactly how much product I have left at any given time.
- *Neutrogena oil-free moisturizer: Meh. I’m glad I’m done with this, I like my Clinique dramatically different moisturizing gel better.
- LUSH Cupcake fresh face mask: Uh my second one in like four weeks…hah.
- Yes to Cucumbers trial size face wipes: Used these while away from home for a week. They are super easy to travel with.
- Clinique take the day off eye makeup remover: I got this as a GWP but honestly I love it. I hope I can find a cheaper dupe because if not I’ll have to buy this again!
- Matrix Exquisite Oil shampoo: LBR I think every time I order from Ulta I get one of these. Doesn’t make any difference in my hair.
- *Urban Decay 24/7 eyeliner in Demolition: This color was so awesome; would buy again.
- Benefit They’re Real! mascara: Count me in the NOPE camp for this one.
- *Lancome Doll Eyes mascara: I really did like this mascara, but the stopper part of the bottom half pulled apart while I was doing my mascara as usual one day. For a $30 mascara that is NOT OKAY. So glad this was a comp and not something I paid for.
- *L’oreal Voluminous Butterfly mascara: I already have three backups. LOVE.
*Project pan for makeup item
Sorry the pic is so awful! I didn’t realize how out of focus and useless it was until just now and the items are long gone by now. Oops!
So I have this other dilemma. This is a side blog from my main account which is a total nerd fandom fest. I can’t follow people with this account, or even answer asks from this name. Does anyone know the best way to make a separate account with the same information? I’m clueless!